Friday 7 September 2007

What’s that?! (VHD Vaccination)

So I was quite happy and settled in my new home when one day I was let out to play and I found my carrier with the door open. I was curious so hopped in… Yey, I found a treat! But as soon as I started to munch on it the door closed behind me and I was locked inside! The same thing happened as before, I had a bit of a bumpy ride, not as long as last time and was taken somewhere awful. The whole place stank of predators and I could see massive dogs and cats through the wicker of my carrier. I was very scared!

I was picked up out of my carrier by a complete two-foot stranger, he turned me over, poked me, prodded me and stuck this great big thing in my mouth… I was a little bit traumatised to say the least! Then to top it all off he jabbed a great long sharp thing into the skin behind my neck OOOOWWWWWW!!!!

Eventually I was taken home and after 5 minutes I realised I was safe again. My two-foot mummy gave me treats and I later learned that I had just had a vaccination. This particular one was against a horrible disease that bunnies get called Viral Hemorrhage Disease or VHD. It’s really nasty and has killed lots of bunnies very quickly and painfully. Even though it was an unpleasant experience I’m really grateful to my two-foot mum for protecting me from such a horrible fate. VHD vaccinations should be done once a year, so I’ll have to go through it again but at least I’m safe till then!

You can find out more information about VHD and why all bunster’s should be vaccinated against it at this link: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/VHD_UK.htm

1 comment:

Timmy said...

OH Bobbin, I know what you MEAN about those jabs!!! As I have been poorly this week, I had the bumpy carrier ride to the weird smelling vet place three times so far.....and I have had to have 6 jabs so far! At first I couldn't figure out why Mummy was letting them DO that to me. But she has been very sad and worried and crying a lot, so I know that it is because she wants me to get all better. Aren't we lucky to have Mummys that love us so much and make sure that we are well?

Lots Of Love & Bunny Hugs,

Your Friend, Timmy XXXXXXX